Sunday, March 22, 2009

"At first I can't get the words out - it's like pushing against a wall of water. I want to tell them more than just that I have proof that Abba was just putting money away for our tuition. I want to tell them that Abba's favorite show is The Simpsons and that he loves Tagore. I want to say that sometimes you can't know who a person is. Sometimes they don't know who they are either. They can appear to be one thing - like me, fat and slow and lazy - but you can look at them another way too - and see something else."

I've noticed that water is mentioned a lot in "Ask Me No Questions." Nadira brings it up when she is speaking of her home in Bangladesh and of her swimming lessons with Abba. Often the water is used as a metaphor and in this quote a simile. Nadira compares water to her inability to speak and how she must push through the "water" and find courage.

No comments:

Post a Comment